Monday, March 22, 2010
Morning to all of my friends...although every day is meatless for me...for those of you that don't know me, I am a vegetarian and the reason being is my love and devotion to animals, they are my heart (so is my family and friends : ) So, I wanted to share will all my friends the whole concept of Meatless Monday. The most popular Vegetarian of all times...Sir Paul McCartney and his daughters Stella and Mary launched Support Meatless Monday in the UK and now it is catching on Globally. So I thought I would share some healthful tips with you each Monday and I will start out slow and then share a lot of my own recipes and maybe create some new ones for you to try! So today I am going to give you a little over view and some simple recipes and then there will be lots of fun each Monday as we delve a bit deeper into the GLORIES of being a vegetarian! : ) Also I will be filling you in on the major benefits for the earth and the environment by going veggie and how much you will be doing by going veggie on Monday's.
this picture is courtesy of "goop" Gwyneth Paltrow blog
Ok...Let's start with something easy and fresh!
Minestrone with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and White Beans
photo credit...vegetarian times
* 1 Tbs. olive oil
* 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
* 1/2 tsp. dried basil (or about 20 fresh leaves torn)
* 1 bunch of beautiful scallions slice small or 1 medium onion, diced (11/2 cups)
* 2 large or 4 medium carrots, sliced into rounds (1 cup)
* 3 stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
* 6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
* 1 zucchini
* 6 mushrooms (your choice)
* 1/2 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
* 1 15-oz. can white beans, rinsed and drained ( love to use chick peas)
* 1 large potato diced small
* 1 cup fresh or frozen peas or green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
* 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar (i LOVE balsamic vinegar)
* Add your favorite little pasta...Acini De Pepe, mini bows, mini shells...etc..
pre-cook -- drain and add right before serving. A shake of good hot red pepper
flakes adds a little kick!
(remember...you can add any other veggies to this yummy soup...go with the seasons... add what veggies look fabulous in your market...an ear of fresh corn adds freshness and a touch of sweetness! oh so many possibilities...go with the flow and what your tastebuds tell you...there is no WRONG : ) have fun and enjoy)...serve with a nice crusty bread and you will say YUM!!!!!
1. Heat oil (you can always add a tad more if you need it) in 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add oregano and basil, and stir 30 seconds. Add onion or scallions, carrots, celery, potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic. Cover, and cook 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
2. Add sun-dried tomatoes, and cook 5 minutes more. Add white beans and 4 cups water, ( I use a good veggie broth such as Trader Joe's Vegetarian Broth, College Inn Vegetarian Broth or any good brand, also another great alternative is to make your own veggie stock and have it on hand in your freezer for when you make soup...we will go into that later in the Meatless Monday Series...and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Add peas, and simmer 3 to 5 minutes more. Stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
calories in a bowl: approximately 200
Well more to come next week...hope you enjoy this little series : ) as they say..."try it...you'll like it!" If you like this series...please leave a comment...would love to know what you think and what you would like to see.